Copy each of the sentences below into your books
and write (in brackets) whether you think each one is presented
as a fact or an opinion.
[Extension: Groups _______->
explain your reasoning]
- The car was blue.
- The man had lost his coat.
- Chester City are the best football club in
- It's not a very good television programme.
- The Spice Girl's album was the most popular
- I believe that he can win.
- Pete Sampras is the best tennis player in the
- Pete Sampras, the tennis player is the World
- We think Mark stole the car.
- I didn't have a coat.
- The church is the tallest building in the town.
- You might get wet if you forget your coat.
- Write two facts about a pop group.
- Write two opinions about a pop group.
- Write two facts about school.
- Write two opinions about school.
- Write two facts about food.
- Write two opinions about food.
Copy each of these passages into your book.
Underline sentences you think present facts in one colour
and sentences you think present opinions in another.
"This has to be the most exciting game of
football that I've seen so far. David Beckham is easily the best
player on the pitch. He has scored five goals so far this season.
I think he'll score a lot more!"
Buy the new Superclean bathroom cleaner. It'll
leave your bathroom sparkling clean! Superclean uses a mixture
of soap and bleach which attacks dust and grime. You won't be
able to believe your eyes when you see what Superclean can do
for you. Only £1.99 a bottle.
Tomorrow is an important day for the pop group
BoysRUs. They release their third single tomorrow. Their last
two singles have gone straight into the charts at number 1. This
new single, however, is an awful mix of pop and blues music. It's
not as good as the previous two hits. It certainly looks to me
like BoysRUs should ask for their day jobs at the toyshop back!
Write a newspaper article about a subject of your
own choice. Try and include a mixture of facts and opinions. Underline
the facts you include in one colour and the opinions in another.