Techniques in persuasion
How to make someone do what you want them to:
- Tell your reader what he would like to hear.
- Use flattery
Make the reader feel sorry for you
- Distort the facts / lie
Abuse your opponents. (Keep it subtle as you don't want to appear malicious)
- Blind the reader with science. Fancy formulas and technical terms work well.
- Use emotive or biased vocabulary rather than straightforward words
- Quote statistics and use them to mean what you want them to mean.
- Use the words "surely", "obviously" and "of course".
- Make an emotional appeal to your reader. Animals and children always appeal.
- Link statements which don't necessarily follow on from one another: "It's pouring with rain. Therefore I deserve a new toy."